Tuesday, October 25, 2011

New life as a mom

So I've survived my first week and a half of being a full time mom.

I've learned a few things:
  • Doing the dishes every day is better and easier than doing them twice a week.
  • I forget to drink water when I'm home.
  • Adult conversation is wonderful. (please talk to me people!)
  • Oliver won't play with any of his toys that we have for him. 
  • Nap time is a much needed break, I go crazy when Oliver won't take them.
  • I have no idea how to entertain a 9 month old baby. (Please tell me how!)
  
After shopping at Macy's, Oliver loved kicking around this bag. FYI: Macy's bags are super durable!

Oliver's favorite toy: his book "Little Quack's ABC's". Thank you to whoever gave it to him.
A lot of people have asked me how it is to have Brady work over nights. Well let me tell you. Here's how it goes. He leaves for work at 7:30ish every evening. Ollie goes to sleep anytime between 7:45 and 8:30. I have the rest of the night to do whatever I want until I go to bed between 10 and 11. By the time I wake up, Brady's home and sleeping. I wake up when Ollie does. We do our thing until Brady wakes up, usually by 2pm. We then have the rest of the afternoon to do whatever we want until the cycle starts again. Weekends are great because it feels like we get a 3 day weekend since he doesn't go to work until Monday evening. So it's not all that different from having a husband work a regular 8am-5pm shift; our hours together are just a little shifted.

I'm enjoying the extra time I have with my family, it's really been a blessing. This week Brady is doing extra work as New Vintage Film so I'll be seeing a little less of him, but we're happy about it at the same time.

That's about it for now. But seriously, how do you entertain a 9 month old? Any suggestions are appreciated.


4 comments:

  1. Hey cute momma! I'm so happy you get to stay home now! Lil bit of a culture shock huh? I don't know if you're sorta anti tv for babies, but we loooove baby einstein videos-my kiddos would watch a couple a day and it made for a good break cuz they were absolutely glued! They still are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Marie on the baby einstein videos. I think we both ordered the whole set from Amazon for like $50. So worth it! Um Kambry was walking at 9 months so my days were spent just chasing her around. Take him outside, give him lots of toys on the floor and just let him do his own thing for a while. It's a change to stay home and it's funny you mentioned you forget to drink water. I totally did the same thing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole you should have play dates with other mommies in the ward. I know they try to get together at least once a week. There might be a sheet about it in Relief Society, either that or you can just find another mom and say "Hey, be my friend!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey SAHM! Getting out before and after nap times has always been my life saver. When R was small I took him to the mall, walmart, target, anywhere really when it was cold out, JUST TO GET OUT! I found that even an hour window shopping tired him out and allowed me to see more than my own space. When he got mobile I found playgroups at church and locally through meetup.com both were great, I talked to moms and R crawled and wandered around.

    I made a plan for everyday and it helped SO much. It didn't make the job any easier, but it made it more fun for both of us.

    oh, and local libraries are AMAZING! They have baby and book story times and often free passes to local events and museums. Cheap!

    Also, you can always give me a call. :)

    ReplyDelete