Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 8: Sing it!

I love musicals! There, I said it. Fun times!

Favorite Old School Musical: Seven Brides for Seven BrothersI've loved Seven Brides for as long as I can remember. The music is just so good and catching. Howard Keel has an amazing voice. "Lonesome Polecat" is the best song sung by a group of men ever! And everyone should know who the cutest brother was. (Benjamin)

Favorite modern musical: Moulin Rouge!
When I first saw this with my mom, I think we sat in the theater afterward just saying again and again, "That was SO good!" We went and saw it again the next day. People tend to credit Chicago as the movie that brought back the musical, but it wasn't, it was this one, which came out over a year before. Who knew Ewan McGregor had such an amazing voice? My favorite song is "Roxanne" and "Come What May", which is the only original song in the film. I know tons of people who have tried to watch this but say they stop within the first 20 minutes because it's, well, a little crazy. People should give it another try though, because after those crazy (fun) 20 minutes, the movie is magic!

Favorite guilty pleasure musical: Newsies

During the lull of live action musical's, Disney made this. And it's AWESOME! People make fun of Christian Bale's performance, but I think that's just because of who he is NOW. I think he's great in this. The music is fun, the story is good. And Brooklyn's Spot Conlon? Yowza!

Favorite epic musical: The Sound of Music

It may be cliche to call this a favorite. But it is. I think it's Roger's and Hammerstein's finest work. I love Julie Andrews, I sometimes wish I could be her. Yup. I love the setting of this movie, seriously, Austria is gorgeous. When I was younger, I always wanted a puppet theater like the Von Trapp children had. I thought Liesl was really pretty and I wanted to look like her and have her clothes, especially the pink dress she wears when she dances with Rolfe. And the chemistry between Captain Von Trapp and Maria is priceless.


I don't think there's a single song in this movie that I don't love. My favorite is definitely "Edelweiss" or "I Have Confidence". Hmm. Now I want to go home and watch this. Have a musical day!

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE musicals! We watch one every Sunday afternoon, I just love them. My favorites are My Fair Lady and Mary Poppins. I'm dying to be her "Jolly Holiday" for a Halloween sometime. We also just rewatched Hello Dolly, Awesome. Even our boys love musicals. FYI, did you know President Thomas S Monson is a show-a-holic?

    ReplyDelete