Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 13: The Book is Always Better

Now for movies that disappointed me when it came to going from book to screen. Of course I had to read these first. There aren't a whole lot of movies that I was disappointed in to the point that I hated the movie. So I don't hate these movies. Let me explain.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Everyone knows I'm a HP fan. Love the movies, and love the books even more. And even though the books are all better than the movies, I have never been more disappointed in a movie than this one. I blame the director Alfonso Cuaron completely. Although he brought the production value of the movies to greater heights, I didn't like the execution of the adaptation. I was never able to quite place my finger on the reason I didn't like it for a long time, until this summer. Brady and I were watching all of the HP movies before seeing Deathly Hallows Part 2. We were watching them in order and I realized that I didn't like the third one because it's cartoony! I feel that Cuaron was practically making fun of the Potter world. Every piece of magic shown is over the top and feels forced. It's such a shame really. The 3rd book is so great. Story wise, I don't like how they didn't build up the fear of Sirius Black, or how they changed around the events of the book, i.e. Harry getting the Firebolt, which would have helped build fear of Sirius Black. Ugh. I do watch it, because the look is great, the way the time-turner scene was done is pretty good, and the acting is better than the first two movies. But I hate how the whole feeling of the Potter-verse is so different from the rest of the films.

The Devil Wears Prada

I decided to read this when I heard it was being made into a movie and I really enjoyed the book. The story was interesting and had many moments of "Is this woman crazy?!" However the movie was really watered down. A lot of the emotion was taken out of the story. In the book Andy's personal life was a lot more difficult, which makes her work life all the more frustrating, which in turn makes Miranda Priestly even more vicious. So when I first saw this, I was pretty disappointed, which was strange when everyone else I knew seemed to really like it. I do think Meryl Streep did an amazing job as Miranda, (as if she wouldn't). I just wish she was given a few more meaty scenes. But over time, I've almost forgotten the book and I now enjoy the movie more, and I own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment