Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 12: Adaptation

I'm going to tell you what my favorite movie is, that was adapted from a book. So I have to choose something that I watched AND read the book. I tend to go through stages where I won't watch the movie until I read the book, like now, I won't watch The Help until I've read it. But usually I see the movie and think "Yay! Now I don't have to read the book!"

Out of the movies I've seen that I read the book before seeing the movie, there had only been two times that I thought "YES! Perfect!". One of those was the widely seen:

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
I actually love the whole LOTR trilogy more than the books, but I didn't read them until after seeing The Two Towers. So The Return of the King was fresh in my mind when I saw it and I was completely satisfied. The changes they made were totally perfect and "all those endings", were in the book, so they didn't bother me at all. Peter Jackson did an amazing thing and made these iconic movies actually better the iconic books, in my opinion. I'm so excited for The Hobbit.

The second movie that blew me away was the little seen:

House of Sand and Fog
I don't remember what exactly made me want to read the book before seeing the movie. I must have just known that one of my favorite actresses at the time, Jennifer Connelly, was in this movie with Ben Kingsley, who's awesome, and it's based on a book that was an Oprah Book club book. I found it just walking around Bookman's and I must have read it in a week. I loved this book. The author does such an amazing job of not "choosing sides" and it's just plain riveting. I saw the movie soon after reading it. I remember the movie being so close to the book and feeling that emotional pull between the conflicting characters. You understand both sides of their stories; maybe his more than her's, but it's great. Great adaption. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment