Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 10: It's Learning Time

This is going to be my last post of the favorites in a genre category, I'm getting bored with them. But I'll tell you about my favorite documentary. I should say my favorite is something moving and groundbreaking, or something that changed the world. You know the docs like, An Inconvenient Truth, or Born into the Brothels, or The Cove, or Waiting for Superman. But those aren't my favorite. I've seen them once, and I'm done with them. BUT one documentary ever, has gotten repeated viewings from me, about 4 to be exact, and that is:

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Don't get chumpatized!

This movie is so much fun yet, sooo geeky. It's about the rivalry between the world record holder for the highest Donky Kong score, Billy Mitchell, and a high school science teacher, Steve Wiebe, who tries to beat the score. Mitchell is the cocky creepy guy, and Wiebe is the super nice and emotional family man. Along with some other rather random "characters" in the movie, this movie is quite enjoyable and funny.

Here are some quotes from random nerdy people.

"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones."

"I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame. I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, 'Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede.' "


"If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up."


"This rivalry is among the greatest: the Yankees and Red Sox... Hekyll and Jekyll."


The best exchange is between Steve Wiebe and his daughter, who must be the smartest person in the film:

Jillian: "I never knew that the Guinness World Record Book was so... I never knew it was so important."
Steve: "I guess a lot of people are... yeah, a lot of people read that book."
Jillian: [while directly looking at Steve] "Some people sort of ruin their lives to be in there."

My favorite quotes, that Brady and still quote to this day, especially now that we have a baby, are from Steve's little boy:

"Stop playin' Donkey Kongggggg!" "Wipe my butt!"

Other than the nerdfest, the movie is quite good, and you really feel for Steve Wiebe, (and his wife). It's fun, it's frustrating, it's a must see.

I really do like documentary's. There are some out there that I really love, but most of them are either too heart-breaking to watch again, or, although interesting, but may be boring on a second viewing, so I don't bother. But I recommend that people watch more of them, especially ones that aren't about penguins or made by Disney. You can really learn something about our interesting world.

No comments:

Post a Comment