Saturday, February 12, 2011

Oliver is here!

Let's start with a picture of our cutie! You know you want to see him.

So I debated writing the birth story down, and I decided to just do it, so here it is.

It begins on Monday, one week past my due date. I woke up that morning, again, not in labor, and sadly went to work. I get the usual "you're still here?" comments at work, which always makes me feel good. Yes, sarcasm. I only worked half the day since I had a doctors appointment.

We head to the appointment and we do a non-stress test. Oliver was doing great. They come in and ask if I could feel the contraction I was having at that moment. No I did not. So my midwife, Ramona, comes in and asks how I'm feeling. I tell her that I want the baby out. She asked if I'm open to inducing with some kind of gel. I told her maybe. She explained the process and for some reason, I wasn't feeling ready for it so I told her I would like to wait another couple days before trying anything. She did check me and I was 2cm dilated and 70% effaced, which is good but I was at that point the week before. So we leave.

Brady takes me to Tempe Marketplace and we walk around for about an hour. Brady wanted the baby out almost as much as I did.

When we go home, I just chill on the couch and watch movies. I start feeling a little crampy during this time. Around 5:30, Brady goes out to do his home teaching. While he's gone the cramps start to actually hurt a little. I wasn't thinking much of it because a week before, after my midwife first checked me, I felt cramps the rest of the day. When Brady gets home I tell him how I'm feeling and he suggests that it could be contractions. I have no clue, I've never felt contractions before. I then decided to start timing them. They were coming about every 4 minutes and lasting about 35 seconds long. After about an hour of this. I decide to call Ramona. She said that it doesn't sound like active labor but it could be early labor. She suggests that I take a bath and relax and see if they go away. I do that and they did seem to slow down. Plus the bath got rid of the back pain I was feeling. I lay down in bed and put a movie on. I start timing the contractions again and they were still about 4 minutes apart but were now lasting about 45-50 seconds long, and they were getting increasingly intense. Brady calls Ramona around 11pm and she suggests that we walk around and to go to the hospital if they increase in length. I call my mom at this time to her that this baby was probably coming that night. We went to walk around our complex and I didn't last very long. I couldn't walk at all during the contractions. So we head inside and Brady finishes packing my bag while I lay on the bed and try to sleep for a few minutes.

So we go the hospital and I feel excited that it's finally happening and that we get to meet Oliver soon. When we get there, it takes me about 2 minutes to be able to get to the door. I was having pretty bad back labor. We do all the paper work and question answering and they take me to triage. I was now at 4cm. I labor in triage for I think is, an hour. They have me walk to my Labor & Delivery room. Oh the torture!

So now the hard part. My mom and Sarah arrive and come in after I get settled in. The contractions were seriously right on top of each other the entire time. The back labor was unbearable. Someone had to be rubbing my back the whole time. Luckily for Brady, he was able to switch off with my mom and Sarah, since rubbing my back was hard work for them. There were many times that I would cry and say "I can't do this". My wonderful family would just keep telling me that I could and that I was doing great.

Now, I didn't think I would be a moaner, but I moaned pretty much the whole time. It was the only way I could deal with the pain. (If you haven't caught on yet, I was doing this all naturally, no drugs.) After 2 or 3 hours the nurse checks me again, and glory be, I was at 9cm! She runs to call Ramona. Nobody was expecting me to have progressed so fast.

So it turns out, back labor comes when the baby is sunny-side up, as opposed to facing downward like they're supposed to when they come out. The nurse starts moving me into different positions to try to get the baby to turn, but nothing was working. When Ramona gets there, she checks me and I'm at 9.5cm. She said that we could go ahead and start some pushing. Finally.

After some pushing, they start moving me into different positions again. They had me in every labor and pushing position possible and I was dying, I hated having to move at all. Ramona tells me that the baby wasn't really liking the pushing so they threw an oxygen mask on me to help me breath better. Breathing got harder and harder to do, but the one comment that made me relax and focus on breathing was when they would tell me to breath for Oliver. I could do that. I couldn't breath for myself but I'd do it for Oliver's sake.

After an hour of pushing, Oliver finally pops out. Everyone exclaims how big he is. It's true. I've never actually seen a newborn just freshly born before, but he did look big. He was also adorable! I couldn't believe how good he looked. His hands and feet were a little blue, but I thought he looked perfect. They let me hold him for a few minutes before taking him to be weighed and measured and all that fun stuff. Brady and I just marveled. Brady bravely cut the cord. He was nervous about that part.

They took him to be weighed and measured and he really was a big boy.

Weight: 9lbs 9.5 ozs
Length: 22 1/4 inches long
Born February 1, 2011 at 6:43am.

I really loved the hospital staff that were there. My nurse Brooke was awesome, as well as the other nurses that helped out. Sarah said, that at one point, there were 9 medical personnel in the room. I got a lot of praise for delivering Oliver the way I did, not only naturally but vaginally, Ramona said that most most "Sunny-side up", or OP babies (I think), that are that size end up being C-section deliveries. None of us had any idea that he was to be that big, so I was superwoman.

Brady did amazing during the labor and delivery, I don't know what I would've done without him. He never left my side and was always very encouraging. He gave me a priesthood blessing just before we left the house for the hospital, and I know it gave me the boost I needed to be able to do what I did. I'm so lucky to have him as my partner.

So that's about it, that's how Oliver came into the world. Even though he was 8 days late, he's so gosh darn cute, I've forgiven him. We just figured that he wanted to be a February baby.

Thank you for everyone who came and visited us in the hospital, we appreciate the love and support of amazing family and friends.

Now for the pictures of my newest love:HUGE!

Family Photo!

Heated blankets... so good.


  1. Absolutely the most beautiful baby boy ever born. I love him so much.

  2. he is soooooooo adorable! And I cant believe you did it natural! I would have DIED!!! You go girl! So happy for you and Ryan thinks hes the handsomest little boy ever! Now he wants a boy... (he can keep dreaming!). Congrats! So happy for you!!!!!

  3. You're quite a woman! He's adorable. I love all that hair! Congrats. :)