Tuesday, February 22, 2011

He's 3 weeks old!

Oliver is 3 weeks old today. Sometimes I feel that the time has flown by so far. Other days I feel it's going really slow. The days have blurred together because of the lack of sleep and with the issues Oliver has had. Let me explain:

Oliver had trouble pooping. Not something that anyone wants to read about on a blog, but it's true. By the time Oliver was 2 weeks and 3 days old, he had only poo'd like 6 times in his whole life; not good when you eat every 2 hours. We went to the Dr. a couple of times, and even had an x-ray done, and basically he was just really really constipated. Poor baby. He was in such pain and he cried all the time, which led to me crying all the time. But after an enema and some Miralax for a few days, he's pooing like normal, and is a much calmer baby. He also has reflux. This makes sleeping interesting. He has to be upright to sleep. If we place him on his back, he wakes up 5 minutes later crying. So his bed has been his bouncer, or laying on one of us (not our favorite). We are giving him medicine for the reflux, but we aren't seeing any improvement yet.

Sleeping in his bouncer bed.

Brady and I can't get over how cute he is. He has big expressive eyes. I think they will end up being blue like his dad's. He has kissable full lips, and cute pointy chin with chubby cheeks. He loves to have his hands up by his face, he must have had his hands by his face while in the womb.

Voluptuous lips

We started our cloth diapering on Sunday. So far it's been going great. I have to admit, as the disposables we had were running out, I was getting nervous, but after the first day, I am on board. Brady, although always supportive, took a couple days to feel ok about it. He was finally on board when the first diaper laundry was done, and they actually came out looking good as new. When we first put the diaper on, we were a little blown away how bulky it was on him, but we had to laugh at his ghetto booty.

I like big butts

After I switched the bigger/thicker inserts for the slimmer newborn size ones (oops), they fit a lot better and his clothes still fit him.

As for me, I'm still adjusting. The baby blues hit me kind of hard when he was a week old. I cried at the drop of hat. Breastfeeding wasn't enjoyable, like I heard it could be, I felt almost like I was merely a milk machine. Plus with all the crying and lack of sleep, I had a hard time with it. Luckily I have the best husband ever and he was always willing to take Oliver during his worst crying fits and watch him for a few hours so I could get some sleep. The blues have finally passed and I'm a much happier mom now.


Brady has been an excellent dad. He's very helpful to me and is able to soothe Oliver better than I can. I get a little jealous over it, but they are so cute together.

First time wearing jeans. His face expressions crack me up.

Sleeping with his hand on his face, that's so Oliver!

All of these pictures were from my phone. I tried doing a newborn photo shoot, but Oliver never acted like a newborn, so it was a total failure. I'll later post what pictures I did get, after I edit them.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, call me or email me. I totally understand what you are going through. Avery had horrible reflux and wasn't diagnosed until she was a little over 3 months. There was a lot of crying going on in our house!!! She slept in her carseat until she was 6 months old. azskinner@hotmail.com, 480-452-9620

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole he is indeed a cutie! I see a little of both you and Brady in him. Hope you are enjoying motherhood. Keep the photos coming...I love me some baby photos!! :)

    ReplyDelete