Monday, March 8, 2010

My old blog: A reflection.

When I started this blog, I remembered that I once had a blog, but I couldn't remember what the address was or anything about it. I thought maybe, it had been deleted or just plain lost in cyberspace. A couple weeks ago, I get an email from blogger.com asking if I want to claim an old account. I did and it was my old blog.

You know that feeling you get when you find an old journal or diary that you kept in high school and junior high, and you realize that the things you thought were important, were actually ridiculous, and you feel almost embarrassed by what you are reading and really hope that no one ever sees it? Well that's almost what I feel about this, it's quite funny. I started the blog in early 2004 and wrote in it for about 8 months. I was 20 years old when I started it and 21 by the time I stopped writing in it. Boy, was I young and kind of silly.

I 'll tell what was in this blog. It wasn't a daily drone of my everyday life. (At that time, I was working full time, going to school full time, and had no friends except Paula and Evan. Uneventful life.) I used the blog to review movies. I was watching a lot of movies during this time of my life. I was just starting the film program at Scottsdale Community College, and very very excited about it (or it seems from one of my posts.) And I was watching tons of movies throughout the weeks and going to the theater every weekend. I would review those movies I saw in theaters and new movies that I saw that were just released on video.

Sometimes I come across other blogs where the blogger has a post titled "Why I blog", or something like that. Well, I blog now because I just like to blog. I like putting my own stories and experiences up here for my family and friends to see. I also do it so, those friends and family that don't know me very well, can get to know me, even if it's a little thing like knowing that I care about Ethan Hawke's health and that I listen to Lady Gaga. But back then, I blogged because I LOVED movies!


My reviews are a little juvenile. They're only about 5 lines long and basically I just say that I thought is was awesome, or boring, or really funny, whatever. I give a few little reasons, but I was defintely not a writer and film critic, just a fan. When I reread the blog, I discovered things that were surprising about my first impression of some movies, like, I didn't care for the movie "Secret Window" very much. I don't remember being unimpressed. I said in my review that it's a renter and that I won't go out and buy it. But I do own it and I'm pretty sure I bought it the day it came out on dvd. Strange. I thought my review of "The Alamo" was pretty funny. I hated this movie. I gave it 1 1/2 stars "(One for Billy Bob's fiddle, 1/2 as contribution to Texas)". Random. I was really excited for the release of "Troy". I talked about my excitement a few times before it came out. I even gave it 4 out of 5 stars! Note: I really don't think Troy is a 4 star movie. 3, maybe, not 4. I said that I didn't really care for Brad Pitt's character but I did say, "He was very stoic and had nice legs, so that was good". And I ended my review of Troy with the words "Love to Hector". I told you the blog was embarrassing.

I read some of my posts to Brady, and he thought I was crazy! But I was 20 years old at the time, and a different person, so I can see how he would think that. I was social inept at the time. I know, now you want the link, but I think I'll keep this under wraps for now.

1 comment:

  1. You have to send us the link... or share more reviews. Maybe share your review, or parts of it-- why it struck you the way it did, and then what you think of it now and why you think your impressions have changed. Sort of like an ongoing reflection.

    ReplyDelete