Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Our Story: Courtship

Surprise! Another installment. I know you have been holding your breath. This is more of a picture post as our courtship was standard, to my understanding.

Here is our first picture we ever took together. It was taken at "Islands" the burger place. We were there for a big birthday dinner for my roommate Julie. She passed her camera around the table so everyone could get their pictures taken. This is what we gave. Here we are at the 2007 Dead End Halloween Party. I was Dave from Flight of the Conchords and Brady was Elwood from The Blues Brothers.In November it came time for Brady to meet my family. Sarah met Brady briefly when we stopped by her house, for some reason. She said she felt very comfortable around him, so that was a good sign. When he met my mom, she came into town and we met up with her and Sarah at Cheesecake Factory for lunch in Chandler. Brady was nervous but he’s so awesome that my mom liked him. She told me that he had a very nice smile (which he does).

This pic was taken by my friend Jenni when she met Brady in November.Fast forward past some boring dating and hanging out, to late November or early December. Brady and I had just watched a movie at my house and he was getting ready to leave. He gave me a hug and a kiss and then said, “You know I love you, right?” I was like “really?”. Then I said, “I love you, too.” I totally meant it. We had only been dating for almost 2 months, and I knew I loved him, and was so happy he loved me too. I told my mom the next day that the “L” word was out, and she asked me if I really did love him. Which was an easy yes. However, we didn’t use it as much at first at least for the first month.

At Christmas time, we would be spending a week apart, the longest since we first met. Brady’s family went to Disneyland for a week, and I went home to Miami for a few days. The whole time Brady was gone, we would text back and forth, pretty much, all the time. My mom was baffled by this, she would ask me why we just didn’t call each other. She thought that I would want to hear his voice. I think we would text all the time because our conversations would last much longer. We used “love” in our Christmas conversations more and more. When he got back, Brady had bought me Disneyland fudge, which I love, and a shirt.
Brady loves pirates.

Just a Saturday Date picture.
Taken at 2008 Phoenix Supercross in January 2008.
One other very significant moment came in late January. Brady and I were hanging out on a Sunday night and we had just finished an adorable tickle fight and were gazing deep into each others eyes. Brady said, "Would you marry me someday?" I heart literally skipped a beat. Was that a proposal? I knew right away that it wasn't but I was so joyful and said, "yeah". He said that he feels really good about it and said that he will like to marry me one day. He needed more time before making it official, so I did my best not to get too anxious. I was really good at staying calm. Really, I was.

Brady's 23rd birthday April 7, 2008
I stayed calm until late March when Brady decided to ask my mom for her permission to marry me. We went to Miami for a weekend and I warned my mom that he was going to ask her. She was prepared, but Brady likes to make things surprising. He asked my mom about the advice I told him that she would give him after he asked he permission, but he straight up and asked her for the advice, which took mom off guard.

He took her off guard again when he waited another couple of hours before he would actually ask. And he just blurted it out to her. "Can I marry your daughter?" And she's like "what?" She wasn't in a conversation with us, we were just all watching TV together. But she gave permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment